Friday, July 25, 2008

Movie Review - The Dark Knight


Why does this happen to me always?! Come vacations, I become damn busy. Asking me why? Well, I don’t have enough time to what I do best – waste it! What better way than watching movies…! Let me tell you the 2 days that went by, I watched 3 movies. Two in theatres, sweating out 150 bucks each (Thanks to my cousin, the interval snacks came free)

The first one was “The Dark Knight”. I wasn’t a fan of batman till recent times. It was “The Batman Begins” that made me like this character. He’s the closest superhero to reality with no superpowers. Having no knowledge of batman stories, I had disliked him till this movie. Such was the effect of The Batman Begins that it not only was one of my favorites, but made me eager to wait for the sequel.

The cast – Christian Bale, was just the perfect guy who fitted the caped crusader’s shoe. The darker side of him was an enhancement to the Batman character. But, it’s the Joker who steals the show. It’s his cunning lines, awful looks and psychotic thinking that takes this movie into another league. Sadly though the actor played by the Joker is no more – Heath Ledger. But what a performance he has left with! Veterans like Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman add dimensions to their roles. The female lead is played by Maggie Gyllenhaal (Katie Holmes played the role in the 1st part.) All in all, it was a dream cast, played to perfection.

A word about the director: Christopher Nolan. I’ve seen his all 6 movies he has directed. Of the 6, 3 feature in my list of top films. He’s delivered it big time here. Not surprisingly, this movie is now officially the highest grosser for the opening day. Today, the Friday it’s all set to become the highest grosser for any movie in one week. I would not be surprised even if it breaks Titanic’s record for the highest box office collections of all time.

My suggestion: Don’t have second thoughts and don't even think of watching it at home on DVD. Give up watching 2 Hindi movies, watch this instead. You would be blown away.

Rating: For the Joker’s role itself, I would have given a “5”. Add to this the CGI effects, storyline, the dialogues, the cast, the screenplay, the background score….. oh man, it is what I call a PERFECT MOVIE with a PERFECT 5 rating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey thats great man!! you are sparing your vacation without so called needed things lke tv,phone and all........
thats how things fall apart....
do u know one thing just today morn i borrowed "FIVE POINT SOMEONE" book from my friend..... what a co-incidence na.....
enjoy your vacation with some more good boks which could enhance your knowledge.....