Monday, August 4, 2008

Back from time travelling…


Remember the early days of this millennium, how you passed time? Computers could be seen only at classrooms. TV’s were there, but I doubt we were hanging around that (esp. when there was no cable). Scratchin’ your head why I’m dragging you backwards in time? Well, the last 10 days for me, it was like being catapulted by a time machine back to the period I was talking…

It all started on 16th. Phone line went dead. I had plans for the next week that followed, so, didn’t bother to get that repaired. A week from then on - thanks to the rain god - load shedding of 6 hours was “formally” announced. So, what was I supposed to do? No computer, no TV and no phone to talk. Wasn’t this how it was in the late 90’s?

But, this was a welcome change for my boring lifestyle. Vacations till now meant watching movies, listening to repetitive tracks or watch some crap on TV. Occasionally, I’d go visiting cousins or relatives. Eventually, days would run out of my so called vacation. This time around, it was different. Time was so abundant this time; I had to find ways to waste it. Thanks to John Grisham for writing “A Time to Kill” and thanks to my buddy Shiva for lending me this book, I returned to my old avocation of reading novels. It was followed by Chetan Bhagat’s “Five Point Someone”, Agatha Christie’s “Hercule Poirot’s Christmas”, Sydney Sheldon’s “Naked Face” and “Stranger in the Mirror”. I even tried my hand in cooking.

Well, these sorts of things were what I used to do back then. I had interest in all such extra activities, which till recently I never cared to give a thought. Thanks to all the irregularities in the government run institutions like BSNL and BESCOM, I’ve been carted to new-found interests whom I hope to keep alive in the coming days.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey...nice that u managed with many things for time pass...try to read "ATLAS SHRUGGED" By AYN RAND..
And other Chethan Bhagath's novels...I guess college starts from 8th August..so back to rweading business again!!..

Shivakumar Soppannavar said...

thanks for reading the books........
i hope you will rteturn it back to ....

Pacchu gaadu....... said...

hey..... I'm really surprised thst you have so much patience to write your experiences....

I'm greatly impressed by your narration.

Hey...then convey my thanks to your "buddy" Shiva for giving me 'The Alchemist',which was the only book I was eagerly searching for, for the past few years....

I really enjoyed it a lot....



nice to see you again on the blog.....


bye.......